Life is an unpredictable thing, and sometimes it prepares us for trials. Sometimes we predict them, sometimes they take us by surprise. One of such tests, in truth, difficult and painful, is the interruption of a long-awaited pregnancy due to the death of the fetus. There are often cases when women, being anxious in advance, ask themselves the question: “Is everything all right?”, Thereby introducing the state of their calmness into the imbalance. In order to save your nerves and gain confidence that everything is fine, that there is no reason for concern, it is worth acquiring some knowledge of the medical plan, namely: to know the signs of a frozen pregnancy.
Frozen pregnancy. What precedes it?
A frozen pregnancy is the termination of the fetus’s life in the womb. The prerequisites for this kind of turn of events may be:
- bad habits of a woman (smoking, alcoholic amateurism, drug addiction) and genetic mutations of the fetus caused by them, the so-called teratogenic effect,
- gene mutations associated with poisoning with toxins of a woman’s body with poor-quality food or fumes (industrial chemicals: paints, varnishes),
- infections of the mother during the period of bearing crumbs (both the same genitals and chickenpox, rubella, incompatible with pregnancy),
- hormonal dysfunctions in a woman (in the case when there is little pregnancy hormone (progesterone) in her body, then the fetus does not have a base for development),
- previously performed abortion, in this case, the walls of the uterus can be so thin that the zygote simply has nowhere to cling to, and it dies or is attached to the wrong organs: fallopian tubes, ovaries, abdominal cavity,
- the action of some medications during pregnancy that are not compatible with it,
- difficulties in blood coagulation (antifolispid syndrome), which complicates the process of attachment of a fertilized cell, and adequate functioning of the uterine vessels through which the fetus feeds.
Whatever it was, it is difficult for a woman to survive, but it makes sense to live on. Yes, it happened. It happens. You need to understand that you are not the only one in this grief: every fifteenth woman out of a hundred had such an experience. Age also affects. For twenty-year-old girls this is 10% of the probability of such a case, for a 35-year-old woman – 20%, and for 45-year-olds – all 50%. But, after such a turn of events, there will certainly still be an opportunity to give birth to a normal, full-fledged, strong baby.
The main thing in this matter: faith in oneself, perseverance, confidence and readiness to accept God’s gift. You need to prepare yourself for the state of pregnancy and prepare your husband for future fatherhood. This means that you need to take care of your health: give up all bad habits (for a man for 3-4 months before conception, and for a woman for 3-4 years at least: first the body is cleansed, then bears the baby, and then feeds), eat right, more spend productive time outdoors, avoid stress, and get screened before conception.
In what way to determine how good or acceptable the pregnancy is and whether trouble has happened?
Signs of a frozen pregnancy
A frozen pregnancy has some typical symptoms. They are similar in all trimesters of pregnancy, but with a certain feature characteristic of each stage of development of the unborn baby.
First of all, the woman’s signs of pregnancy cease: toxicosis, pain in the mammary glands, basal temperature of an increased nature. During pregnancy in the first 10 days, if her fading occurs, then this passes by the life of the woman herself, without affecting her well-being, not her appearance, etc. In a situation where there are inflammatory processes and infections in the genitals, the attachment of the zygote to the epithelium can occur in another place: in the fallopian tubes, on the ovaries or in the abdominal cavity. Then the future fetus is doomed to death no later than the 12th week of pregnancy.
If the fetus froze and 5-7 days have passed, the following signs appear: chills at elevated temperatures, pulling pains in the lower abdomen, bleeding, nausea. Blood discharge may appear earlier, they may be harbingers of a tragic event. And if you go for an examination to a gynecologist in time, go for an ultrasound scan and follow the doctor’s recommendations, you can save the life of a future baby.
Dangerous in terms of freezing of the embryo are 3-4 weeks of pregnancy, 8-10, 13-14.
In the first trimester, a characteristic indicator of a frozen pregnancy is a sharp drop in basal temperature, as if “emptying” the breast, the cessation of toxicosis.
In the second trimester, the absence of fetal movement, pain and red discharge will be added.
In the third, severe pulling pains in the lower abdomen, the face and hands swell, the temperature rises, painful urination, darkening around the eyes, bleeding, the fetus stops moving.
Diagnostics and treatment of a frozen pregnancy
Under any circumstances, before the doctors confirm the presence of a frozen pregnancy, you can only guess and worry. Therefore, at the slightest suspicion – immediately hurry up for qualified help.
On examination by a gynecologist, a decrease in the uterus, not characteristic of the course of pregnancy, or inflammatory processes in the genitals that threaten the fetus may be detected. Next, you will be sent for an ultrasound examination. The indicator of termination of pregnancy is the absence of fetal heartbeat. It is diagnosed as early as 6-7 weeks of pregnancy.
HCG analyzes are also indicative of the presence / absence of pregnancy. When the fetus stops developing, their indicator drops sharply or does not correspond to the gestational age.
If, nevertheless, the fears of the termination of the vital activity of the fetus were confirmed, then it must be removed from the woman’s body.
In the early stages, this happens in such ways:
- chemical effect on the fetus, so that it dissolves (used very rarely in European countries),
- self-cleansing of a woman’s body under the supervision of doctors (practiced in Europe),
- vacuum cleaning or medical abortion (with the help of a pill, bleeding is caused, which clears the woman’s body of a frozen fetus).
At a later date, apply:
- medical abortion with a certain contraction-inducing solution
- scraping (so-called surgical abortion).
After removing unnecessary flesh, the woman is prescribed antibiotics and monitored by doctors. It can take place both in a hospital (if desired or necessary) and at home. Further, families planning children still need to get stronger in spirit, physically and prepare for future parenting: responsibly, consciously, confidently. Everything will be fine.